This recipe is in cups, cos that’s the way I found it, and it was a convenient way to spend a revision break!
– Cream together 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup caster sugar
– Add 2 beaten eggs, bit by bit so the mixture doesn’t curdle
– In separate bowls measure out a) 1.5 cups self-raising flour, pinch of salt & half tsp baking powder, and b) half cup of buttermilk (or milk with a dash of white wine vinegar left for a few mins) with juice and zest of half a lemon
– Mix in the flour & buttermilk bit by bit to the first mixture, starting and ending with the flour – don’t over-mix, just keeping going until the mixture is incorporated.
– Crumble in with your fingers around 3 tsp of dried lavender buds (this gives quite a subtle taste, you could add more)
– Pour into a lined/greased loaf tin and bake for about 40 mins on 160-180 degrees C (depending on whether you have a fan oven) until a skewer comes out clean.
– When cooled, pour over a glaze made from half a cup of sifted icing sugar, juice of half a lemon and 1 spoon of Greek yoghurt.
Had to take a picture of this one, or else I thought my mum might not believe me!….
We were serenaded….
Hope you enjoy the recipe! It’s brilliant – many people have said so. Make it.